Transport has traditionally been one of the major challenges for anyone with a disability. Being unable to drive in combination with mobility impairment can be similar to having a prison sentence. Rolling Rehab is constantly on the lookout for solutions for people with disabilities who are unable to drive and thanks to the innovative Drive and Thrive team, we believe that we have found a solution.
UBER is an easy to use taxi service that is booked and paid for via a cellphone App. Once you have registered as a user, you book your ride and the type of vehicle via the App, it tracks where you are, using your cellphone GPS to find you, and within minutes your transport is there.
UBER recently launched the UberASSIST platform in Gauteng and Cape Town. UberASSIST is designed to provide additional assistance to seniors and people with access needs.
Driver-partners are specifically trained to assist riders when getting in and out of vehicles and can accommodate folding wheelchairs, walkers and service animals.
How to access uberASSIST in Johannesburg?
1. Open the Uber app
2. Enter your destination
3. Swipe left and select uberASSIST
4. Confirm pick-up location and request a ride
- After requesting your ride, feel free to contact your uberASSIST driver-partner ahead of time with any specific requests.
- Provide feedback. Uber’s feedback loop asks riders to rate every trip, and they use that information to ensure that riders always receive safe and reliable transport services.
- Please note that uberASSIST vehicles do not have wheelchair accessible ramps.
- The more people with disabilities that use the service, the greater their interest in helping us!